Why You Should Be Wearing Linen This Summer

With a heatwave just around the corner (well at least for those of us in London) Summer outfits have been on my mind.  I often say I prefer Winter to Summer when it comes to fashion but then after what seems like an eternity of Winter months, I can switch just like that.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to wearing lighter outfits, my skin needs to breathe and feel the warmth of the sun (underneath all that SPF 50 of course).  I think lots of women fear Summer because for them it means less clothing and more body on show, and for those of us who aren't body confident (for one reason or another) this can bring on very unwelcoming views towards this glorious season.

This is where I would like to re-introduce to you the world of linen.  You'll all know what linen is, some of you may love it, some of you may loathe it, some of you might not have tried it before.  Linen can have a bit of a stigma about it, that it's all oversized smocks, sack dresses and tablecloths but alas, some of the coolest brands all use linen in their collections and it's not always about flashing the flesh (covering up is cool).  Sustainable brand Reformation, my holiday go-to Faithfull The Brand and Summer style all-rounder Free People all have some seriously beaut linen pieces in right now.  I understand not everyone has the budget for these brands as they are a little on the pricey side (there is a reason for that, see below) but as per usual I have taken the liberty of scouring the internet (a task I thoroughly enjoyed on this occasion) to find the best linen pieces for all budgets.

But what is linen, where does it come from and what are the benefits of wearing it?  Similarly to cotton linen is manufactured from a plant, the Flax plant, so this makes it a fully natural fibre.  Flax is also cultivated for it's seed (linseed) and can only be harvested once a year.   Linen is made from the cellulose fibres that grow inside the stalks of the flax plant and it's a long old process of going from plant to garment, this is why linen is often a costly fabric to purchase, costing twice as much as cotton to produce.  There are so many advantages of wearing linen in hot weather conditions which is why you'll always find plenty of linen clothing when you're on holiday.    Linen is woven from larger fibres and this means that it's quite an open fabric...basically there are larger gaps between the fibres because it's not at tightly woven as cotton.  So in terms of breathability, linen is the best possible fabric for ventilation and it's also heat conductive which I know might sound like a bad thing but actually it's quite the opposite.  Linen fibres can disperse and release heat, which in turn reduces your skin's surface temperature and makes you feel cooler, winning!  In terms of the environment linen is way up there with the most sustainable fabrics available, and if left un-treated (not dyed) it's fully biodegradable...but remember to check those labels because linen manufactured in China can be treated with chemicals and is often a lower quality.  I love linen for all these reasons, from sustainability to it's carefree and laidback vibe.  Yes it creases, sometimes even just by looking at it, but for me that's actually all part of the appeal.  Nothing says Summer like linen does and I'm really looking forward to growing my collection over the coming months.

I'd love to know your thoughts on linen and if you have any favourite items in your wardrobe or maybe have spotted something from this post that you love?...Whatever your thoughts, let me know in the comments below and if you're in need of more linen inspo check out my Linen Mood Board on Pinterest HERE x

LINEN DRESSES, PLAYSUITS & JUMPSUITS

JACKETS & OUTERWEAR

TROUSERS & SKIRTS

TOPS & SHIRTS

Blazer - H&M (Also similar here)

Dress - Urban Outfitters (Similar here and here)

Espadrilles - ASOS (Old, but similar here)

Bag - Simon Miller

Short Necklace - Cinco

Long Necklace - Cinco

Watch - Cartier

Sunglasses - Ray Ban (also similar here and here)

Comments

1. Natali
    16th April 2018 / 8:28 am

Oh, I adore linen pieces and I’m so happy that they’re now so popular and there’re endless choices to shop for!
    I’m loving your dress, it’s perfect!

• 16th April 2018 / 4:36 pm

There are and so many cool brands from Australia are using premium linen now and it’s the best thing for Summer hands down x

2. Merja Tammi
    16th April 2018 / 1:27 pm

Love the look! I have all my linen pieces in one section of the closet, ready to go! Im looking forward to seeing how you style linen looks in the coming months.

3. 16th April 2018 / 1:42 pm

I’ve never been a fan of linen perhaps because I associate it with older people’s clothes (sorry) but if I could snag something in my style made with linen, then maybe.

• 16th April 2018 / 3:53 pm

Om my gosh no linen is for everyone. You should take a look at my mood board I linked, there’s no old people on there haha x

4. Emma
    16th April 2018 / 5:43 pm

Living in a warmer clime, I am quite partial to a bit of linen. The creasing – Does. My. Head. In. butttt I am trying to get past that and relax a bit more with it!!

• 17th April 2018 / 8:32 am

yup, you just gotta accept it for what it is and embrace the creases 😉 x

5. Sandie
    16th April 2018 / 5:53 pm

Love White linen in the summer, wish it loved the amount of sun cream I wear though. Ah well needs must‍♀️

• 17th April 2018 / 8:33 am

haha, maybe try a lighter sun scream, you can still get high factor but sounds like you’re using a heavy creamy one x

6. Gemma
    16th April 2018 / 7:06 pm

Please don’t stop blogging Emma, I love these posts! You always put a really interesting spin on what you’re wearing. Love it!

• 17th April 2018 / 8:34 am

Well it definitely gets a thumbs up from me if it’s Ghana-proof 🙂 x

7. 16th April 2018 / 10:51 pm

LOVE linen! It’s a particularly handy fabric to have when you live in Brisbane, Australia with pretty much a year-round summer (we have approx two days of winter a year lol). My favourite linen piece is a lightweight trench from Zara. I’ve been wearing it non-stop and absolutely love it’s chartreuse colour. Oh, and linen tees FTW!

• 17th April 2018 / 8:34 am

Linen tees all the way!!!! x

8. Micaela
    17th April 2018 / 4:41 pm

Love the look, linen is so comfortable and fresh to use in summer outfits. Reformation have a gorgeous collection of dresses that it´s so difficult to choose just one.
    Emma can I ask you some tips about a few products? Where should I send the questions? Thank you. xoxo

9. 17th April 2018 / 7:06 pm

I’m a lover of linen . I do find it hard to launder and have seen pieces that fray when washed , so be careful to follow the cleaning instructions! This is my first time visiting your blog . Great post . I’m that strange mystical creature a man who writes a fashion blog for women. I always enjoy meeting , sharing , and collaborating visit
    me , cheers
    Jandrew
    Dress The Part

• 18th April 2018 / 8:52 am

Very wise, yes always check the washing instructions 🙂

10. luciana
    18th April 2018 / 9:49 am

Hi

Which is the steamer you use for wrinkles?
    Thanks!

11. 20th April 2018 / 11:55 pm

Yes! I feel like we don’t hear enough about linen, but its soooo good. I like how you explained what linen is and where it comes from.

• 23rd April 2018 / 5:16 pm

I agree, we need more linen in our lives 😉 Linen for everyone haha x

12. 26th April 2018 / 10:44 am

stunning look and your blog is awesome. keep posting ……..

13. 30th April 2018 / 8:18 am

Lenin makes me comfortable… Awesome pictures, EJ 🙂

14. 5th May 2018 / 3:09 pm

I’m one of those, who don’t like showing to much skin and I really need to buy more linen for this summer. Thank you for the recommendations!! x

15. 8th May 2018 / 8:17 pm

Cant beat linen for summer, aside from creasing, it looks chic and feels cool. I am desperately looking for some nice linen trousers…I missed out on those striped ones from Mango as sold out. Looking fab as always!
    H x