Chanel Timeless

As you might have seen in yesterday's video I do indeed have a new addition to my handbag collection.  Girls, meet my very first Vintage Chanel.  Chanel is one of those labels which has always been way out of my price range, in fact the bags still are.  But vintage Chanel not only holds a much more reasonable price tag but also some character and history.  Of course I have always wanted a Chanel handbag, what girl doesn't?  I even bought one a couple of years ago, well a WOC if that counts as a 'handbag'.  But I bought the bag in a moment of frivolous madness at Heathrow Airport (duty free) and it just wasn't the one for me.  I picked silver hardware, a massive error as I wear gold jewellery, and it was so small that I couldn't fit anything inside, the clue is in the name; Wallet on a Chain.  I kept hold of the bag for a few months and decided to sell it on, and it went to a very loving home and I lost out on no money at all.  That is the beauty of Chanel, we can accurately use the term 'investment' because they hold their value, in most cases their value even increases, kerrrrrching!

Fast forward a couple of years and I found myself once more re-visitng that want, that need for a Chanel handbag.  Thanks to one of my style icons and the founder of one of my favourite brands; Anine Bing, I was inspired to research Vintage Chanel.  You might remember that Simon took me to Paris in September for my Birthday and we looked around a few vintage stores but nothing took my fancy so I bought some shoes from the flagship store instead.  A lot of the bags I came across in Paris were in heavily used condition, leather peeling off, gold tarnishing etc and I wanted something which had been cared for, loved and cherished.  When purchasing any Chanel handbag this should be a thought out process, to ensure you get 'the one'.

Simon and I had our usual Christmas budget discussion where we set ourselves a budget with enough time to save before the festive season and as much as I wanted to buy a Chanel for myself I decided to put it on the table as my desired Christmas present.  Simon has so many incredible qualities but I just couldn't trust him with the task of finding this bag himself.  So my task for the next few months was to find 'the one'.  I set myself an alert on Vestiaire and trawled several other pre-owned sites daily but no luck.  There were hundreds of bags that I looked at over during those few months and some I even fell for, but they all fell at the last hurdle; a slight bit of tarnishing here, a dishevelled serial sticker there.  Christmas came and went, and bless Simon because he felt awful that I had nothing to open on Christmas day but that was fine with me, I had a task to complete and I knew it would be worth it.  Anyway, a week ago I found 'the one' and I won't say any more because the story from there on is in my latest video which is at the bottom of this post if you haven't already seen it and if you're wondering how to buy a bag on Vestiare.

Coat - H&M (Similar here)

Sweater - Me+Em

Jeans - Re/Done

Boots - Mango

Bag - Vintage Chanel

Necklace - Cinco

Watch - Larsson & Jennings

Sunglasses - Celine (Similar high street version here)

Earrings in First Holes - Cinco

Earrings in Second Holes - Shashi NYC

Earrings in Third Holes - Maria Tash

Comments

1. Anne V
    15th January 2018 / 8:35 am

Love that bag!!! She needs a name!

Ps can she be worn cross body?

• 15th January 2018 / 8:57 am

Yep she can but the strap is quite short so she ends up quite high as I’ve shown on my Instagram x

2. Camilla Vrangstrup
    15th January 2018 / 9:26 am

Chanel just makes the most amazing handbags.. And she is a stunner! Can’t wait to hear her name
    If the bag is from 1991, it must be back then when they made the hardware with real 24 Carat gold!
    Enjoy!! I’m going to London in march, and i have finally saved up for a Chanel bag, so i HOPE i can find it in London

• 15th January 2018 / 9:40 am

Mine is just plated as they did make both plated and solid but I personally think the bags were better quality back in the 90s so I’m pretty happy with her and she’s in such incredible condition. She’s almost 30 years old and has less wrinkles than I do at 32 haha.
      I haven’t had much luck with finding second hand Chanel in London, Paris is definitely the place for that. However we do have lots of Chanel stores so you definitely wouldn’t have a problem getting a brand new one. If you did want to look at pre-loved you could try this place: https://www.instagram.com/webuydesigner/ they have a little store in Knightsbridge x

3. 15th January 2018 / 9:58 am

Does She have a name yet?
    What about Cynthia?

Leanne | lemblog.co.uk

• 15th January 2018 / 10:26 am

Not yet, but Cynthia is a good shout 😉 x

4. Dorine
    15th January 2018 / 3:50 pm

It’s so incredibly cool to see how a single bag can change the entire look & vibe of an outfit (Chanel vs Judith (needless to say I love both!))! X

• 15th January 2018 / 8:54 pm

haha Judith has already warmed to her, she’s very welcoming 😉 x

5. Jess Arthur
    15th January 2018 / 4:38 pm

Yet another informative blog post and loved the video. I have always set my heart on being part of the Chanel family but always geared towards buying new but, you have changed my thoughts on this. Will definitely be researching more into vintage. Cannot wait for your next instalments. x

• 15th January 2018 / 8:53 pm

Another thing to note is that the quality of the bags back then was actually better that the currently styles so win win 😉 x

6. Debi Gates
    15th January 2018 / 7:51 pm

Congrats on your new Chanel bag…she’s beauty! Great outfit.

7. 16th January 2018 / 10:19 am

I have a Chanel Classic flap bag too and I love it to bits! I’ve never bought vintage Chanel before, but I’m definitely interested in buying a piece sometime in the future.

• 16th January 2018 / 12:26 pm

Yaaaaaay, vintage have so much character 🙂 x

8. Anna
    16th January 2018 / 5:14 pm

How ridiculous to ask for such an expensive Christmas present when you can clearly buy it yourself. Disgusting materialism. I would never ask my husband for such a thing, and if I did he’d rightly tell me where to go!

• 16th January 2018 / 6:29 pm

Anna, my husband and I both spend the same amount on each other every Christmas. He didn’t get a lump of coal. This year we settled on an amount and I chose this handbag as my gift. I could have chosen a few smaller gifts rather than one big one but this is what I wanted and we like our Christmas gifts to be quite special for each other, and this was something very special. Everyone is different but this is how we do Christmas.

• Kayleigh
      16th January 2018 / 8:01 pm

Bore off Anna! What Emma and Simon do with their money is up to them, it’s none of your concern and no one even asked your opinion

Emma, I think your Christmas bag is bloody stunning and a classic which will never date. Just adding the same one to my ‘I need to have this before I die’ list hehe

9. Gemma
    16th January 2018 / 7:40 pm

Totally stunning! I love this. The bag is very pretty and will hold its value so you always have something for a rainy day. Love it xx

10. Laura
    17th January 2018 / 10:54 am

This outfit is absolute perfection! I love everything about it… and the Chanel just makes it even better xx

11. Barbara
    18th April 2018 / 10:34 pm

Hi Emma!
    I always wanted a classic Chanel and you inspired me to get one. I started my hunt and i can refer to your experience.
    I am looking at many bags but most of them can be worn only as shoulder bag. I am looking for convertible longer chain and was wondering how long is yours as i have seen some bags with 86 and others approx. 90cm.
    I hope you find some time to answer
    Love