London, Shoreditch

Valentino Rockstuds

Photography by Amber-Rose

grey jumper, lace cami, celine box bag, khaki trousers

I’m slowly but surely starting to build my designer collection of shoes and handbags.  I’ve been lusting after a pair of Valentino Rockstuds for at least 2 years now and finally I can check them off my ‘must-have-these-or-I’m-gonna-die’ list thanks to Net-a-Porter (my little shoe angel!).  The great thing about Rockstuds is that they have very much become a classic, cult shoe.  First introduced in A/W 2010 and since then there hasn’t been a Valentino collection without them.  The Rockstud family has grown since the days of the original slingback heel (also on my list!) and we are now spoilt for choice throughout the seasons with flats, sandals, espadrilles and even accessories and bags!  It’s the shoe you can dress up or dress down, it can be pretty, it can be grungy, it can be edgy and in my books a shoe that can tick so many boxes just had to be part of my collection.  Are they really worth it? Hell yes!  If you’re contemplating joining the Rockstud club then I’ve answered a few FAQ’s below that hopefully might help you get that membership…

FAQ’s on the ‘Rockstuds’

Are they true to size?

I am usually a Euro size 40.5 – 41 depending on the style.  As Rockstuds are pointy I actually went down to a Euro 40 and they fit perfectly, but as you can see I have very narrow feet.  I would say if you have wide feet stick at your normal size but if you have slim feet like me, you can afford to go down half a size.

Do they stretch?

If you buy the correct size then you shouldn’t need them to stretch.  However they are leather and all leathers have a certain amount of ‘give’.

Are Valentino Rockstuds comfortable?

I’m going to be honest here, the first time I wore them they were comfortable for the first couple of hours and then they started to rub on the toes.  But new shoes are new shoes and I think we can all admit that some shoes simply need ‘wearing in’.  I’ve worn these a few times since the blister incident and they are beginning to break in now.  The leather starts off as very stiff as it’s quite thick leather (in comparison to my Aquazzura flats) but the more you wear them, even if it’s around the house with a pair of socks on, the more comfortable they become.  I personally had no irritation or discomfort from the straps but it can depend on each individual and the shape of your feet.

But let’s face it, they’re so worth it!

Do they go on sale?

Rockstuds in classic colours do not go on sale.  They are still very much a highly sought after design so more often than not they sell out before we even get to sale season.  I have only ever seen very seasonal (scary neon colours or wild prints) be reduced, but for a shoe like this, I’d say stick to a classic colour for more versatility and if you see a pair you like, get them, because nothing haunts us more than the things we didn’t buy!

Shop the Rockstuds

cream valentino rockstud flats, khaki trousers, grey v neck jumper, celine box bag, lcae cami

celine box bag, grey fluffy jumper, khaki trousers

cream Valentino Rockstud flats
cream valentino rockstud flats, khaki trousers, grey v neck jumper, celine box bag, london street style

Jumper – Gestuz

Lace Cami (worn underneath) – Mango

Trousers – Topshop (old, but similar here)

Bag – Jessica Buurman

Shoes – Valentino via Net-a-Porter

Sunglasses – Ray-Ban via Sunglasses Shop

Necklace – Topshop (old)

This post was created in collaboration with Net-a-Porter, but all words, opinions and imagery are my own

Comments

1. Adele
    25th April 2016 / 10:05 am

Love your colour selection Emma. I have 5 different pairs of Valentino Rockstuds in some shape or form (sandals/heels/flats etc) & adore each & every single pair. Once you’ve bought your first pair I’m sure you’ll buy more as they never date.
    Hugs Adele xoxo

• 26th April 2016 / 8:17 am

WOW 5! Now I’m seriously jealous! I must admit now I have this pair I do find myself wanting a pair of the heels…and espadrilles, and sandals haha x

2. Adele
    25th April 2016 / 10:07 am

Ooooh how about a Valentino bag? I have the meduim lock shoulder bag in poudre & it’s one of my most used. Its a great bag to invest in!
    Hugs Adele xoxo

• 26th April 2016 / 8:18 am

Yes I have been toying with the idea of a Valentino. I just need to assess which style and colour. I always look at my current collection to see what I ‘need’ 😉 x

• 26th April 2016 / 8:19 am

3. Veronique
    25th April 2016 / 1:07 pm

Yes, yes, yes for Valentino Rockstud shoes – I love them so much! I bought my very first pair of fuchsia rockstud flats for Christmas 2014 and since then I already have had another 3 pairs: beige poudre caged flats, ivory wedge shoes and lately I’ve bought a pair of rose poudre kitten heels. For me it’s still not enough because I’m lusting after another pair of pink poudre kitten heels. As you can notice I don’t buy seasonal colors, but only neutrals that I can wear all the time. For me the best option are kitten heels, they’re super comfy for my rather wide feet. Flats do hurt me while I’m wearing them for too long (e.g. For shopping session), BUT whenever I look at them I say to myself that they’r too pretty to complain about the low level of comfort.

• 26th April 2016 / 8:22 am

haha I’ve totally heard they are addictive once you have one pair, Now I have the flats I’m lusting after the heels 🙂 x

4. 25th April 2016 / 1:19 pm

Ahhhh I love the rockstuds, they’re definitely on my ridiculously long, luxury wishlist! Love the style and colour combo you got 🙂

forevabelle.blogspot.co.uk

• 26th April 2016 / 8:23 am

Oh god don’t even get me started on the length of my wish list, I feel like it grows without me even knowing haha 😉 x

5. 25th April 2016 / 4:55 pm

There have been times where I’ve seen the rockstud and had it look not too edgy – which I prefer – but most of the time it’s a little too much for me. Too loud. I like subtle statements. But these look great on you and I’m glad you got them 🙂

6. 27th April 2016 / 2:46 pm

Love love love Valentino Rockstuds. These are on my must have list too.

FashionAddicted

7. RAVEENA
    5th October 2016 / 12:29 pm

I BOUGHT A PAIR OF “FAKE ROCKSTUDS” FEOM MISSGUIDED FOE £25 AND THEY ARE THE EXACT COPY!!!

• 5th October 2016 / 2:11 pm

I doubt they are an exact copy as Missguided don’t sell real leather shoes. In this case you can’t beat the real thing, but I do love a good dupe so well done on a great bargain x